APPLICATION FORM FOR 2017 TAIWAN-U.S. SISTER RELATIONS ALLIANCE AMBASSADOR SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
INSTRUCTIONS: This application form MUST be completed by the applicant. Each question should be answered clearly and completely so the TUSA Education Committee can make fair and equitable decisions. Supplemental information is not necessary, but you may submit additional pages if desired.
1. Complete the application on-line at by clicking the button at the bottom of this page. All required documents MUST be at our office no later than February 15th, 2017 for an early admission decision, and by March 31st, 2017 for final consideration. Announcement of scholarship awardees will be made on February 25th for early admission applicants, and by April 10th for all others. For those who are unsuccessful in gaining an early decision, you will have another chance to be evaluated in the second application round.
2. Eligibility Requirement: Only citizens of the United States can apply. Note that a U.S. passport is essential for traveling abroad. You should apply for your passport at least 3 months before departure, if you don’t already have one.
3. Academic Requirements: Ideal applicants are American citizens who neither hold a Taiwan passport nor claim Taiwanese or Chinese heritage and who fall into the following category of eligibility: (a) You must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student at an institution of higher education in the United States, and (b) must have a GPA at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale. You also must (c) be of good moral character, as judged by those who recommend you. All levels of Chinese (Mandarin) proficiency are acceptable; there is no requirement of prior language experience.
4. Your application will be considered complete when you have (a) submitted a completed online TUSA application form, (b) uploaded a copy of your student I.D. to the online TUSA application form, and (c) had two letters of recommendation [preferably from your professors] uploaded to our recommendation form. Emails with instructions will be sent automatically to the email addresses you provide for your recommenders.
5. Where and When: The program will be based at one of Taiwan’s largest and most prestigious schools, the National Cheng Kung University (NCKU, http://www.ncku.edu.tw ) and its Chinese Language Center, located in the historic city of Tainan. The study period will be from June 28th to August 23rd, 2017 (eight weeks). Six credit units will be awarded by NCKU after successful completion of the program. Each U.S. student will be assigned a Taiwanese study partner to facilitate learning Chinese language and culture.
6. The scholarship covers: tuition, dormitory, accident insurance (includes outpatient medical, but no hospitalization), free excursions, host family weekend, and a one-on-one language exchange partner . You are responsible for airfare to and from Taiwan, meals, minor utilities, and additional spending money.
7. Questions may be submitted by using our contact form.